The following is a visitor-submitted question or story. For more, you can submit your own sleep story here, or browse the collection of experiences and questions other visitors have shared here.

A Combination

by Random Girl
(Asheville N.C, USA)

I think that to try and reduce the cause of dreams to one simple reason is a very narrow-

minded way of thinking. I strongly believe that dreams are caused by a COMBINATION of random
neurons firing, external stimuli, and subconscious desires.

I believe this due to personal experience. On several occasions, my dreams have incorporated sounds that were happening around me. One such time was when my alarm was going off in the morning, I was having a dream that I was in a car. The noise of my alarm presented itself as the radio of the car malfunctioning in my dream. As for subconscious desires, I know a lot of my dreams have revolved around things that highly interest me, such as aliens, space travel, flying, etc. So maybe that means my subconscious desire is to meet an E.T or to fly? lol. Not to mention the thousands of people who have had dreams that warn of dangers and such. If someone were to dream a day in advance of a huge tornado that was to strike their home, are you going
to dismiss that as "random neurons firing"? I don't think so.

Obviously though, not every dream has a meaning, so I guess all the random weird ones that make no sense probably are just random neurons firing. I guess the human brain is to complex to ever really completely understand though. Remember, we normally only use around 10% of it. That doesn't mean the other 90% of it isn't there or usable under some sercumstances... That might explain
psychic powers or advanced senses/ perception. Maybe those people who have it use more of
their brain? Just my theory...

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Why Do We Dream?.

Enjoy this page? Please help us pay it forward to others who would find it valuable by Liking, Sharing, Tweeting, Stumbling, and/or Voting below.

About This Site

Welcome! This site is continuously being created by students of Dr. William C. Dement's Sleep And Dreams course at Stanford University.

We made this site as a call to action for people all over the world to live healthier, happier, safer, and more productive lives by learning about their own sleep. We have faith that reading the information provided on this site will motivate you to be smart about your sleep deprivation and strategic about your alertness in order to live life to your fullest, most energetic potential.

In fact, we challenge you to do so! What do you say, are you up for the challenge?

A Note On Visitor-Submitted Questions:

Publishing sleep stories and questions from our visitors is meant to create a forum for open and proactive dialogue about an extremely important portion of our lives (one that occupies 1/3 of it and affects the other 2/3) that isn't talked about enough. It is not meant to substitute a trip to the doctor or the advice of a specialist. It's good to talk; it is not good to avoid consulting someone who's profession it is to help you with this kind of stuff.

If you are in any way concerned about your sleep health, don't wait for an answer on here, and don't necessarily rely on them. See a sleep specialist in your area as soon as possible.

More Questions:

Ask | Answer

The Stanford Sleep Book

Stanford Sleep Book Picture

Dr. Dement's pioneering textbook has been the core text for Sleep and Dreams since 1980, but it has just recently been made available to the wider public for the first time.

In it you'll find a more detailed account of the most important things you need to know about sleep, alertness, dreams, and sleep disorders. Studies, statistics, plus plenty of Dr. Dement's classic anecdotes painting the history of sleep medicine.

Preface | Intro | Contents | Get A Copy

More Sleep Resources

The Zeo

A revolution in personal sleep tracking, the Zeo is a wireless headband that transmits your brainwaves in realtime to a dock (pictured here) or your smartphone. The result? You can wake up and see exactly what stages of sleep you were in during the night! Unprecedented personalized sleep knowledge.

Sleep Paralysis: A Dreamer's Guide

Sleep Paralysis Treatment Book

Ever woken up paralyzed? A surprising number of us have, believe it or not. But few know the actual causes of this phenomenon, and fewer still how to exert control over it. Dream researcher and sleep paralysis expert Ryan Hurd shares breakthrough insights into how to do just that.

Important Disclaimer

Please Note:

The information found on this page and throughout this site is intended for general information purposes only. While it may prove useful and empowering, it is NOT intended as a substitute for the expertise and judgments of healthcare practitioners.

For more info, see our
Terms of Use.